Saturday, January 3, 2015

What Do You Really Need?




The new year is here once again and I am reminded that I keep acquiring stuff or kits for my various interests.  How often have I gotten involved in an activity, having to purchase all the needed gear and then some...over the years I have developed many interests and hobbies, but lack the space the keep all my gear handy. It was a good thing that I let go of my snow ski gear. Living in the south, I rarely travel  so my snow adventures have been curtailed. Oh and then there is a treasure chest full of belly dancing gear. When I started having problems with my joints, that all literally came to a grinding halt. My dear guitar covered in dust has been sitting there for three years, untouched. Portfolios of art are all over the place along with framed work from shows past. Tons of art supplies, brushes, and a very large easel, I no longer paint on canvas anymore. Years of sketchbooks from childhood on litter my two very full desks. Collections of cameras and photography gear take up the majority of the space as well. There are many books and book shelves to. I certainly don't need all of this stuff, but I have memories associated with it all. 

My plan for the new years is to re-evaluate all my gear and downsize. This idea comes from a once little girl that wanted to pack light, live in her car, and travel the world...I missed my calling as an over the road truck driver...it would have saved me a ton of money! Has the digital age had any effect on how you perceive want vs. need of stuff?  What kits are you keeping in your life? leave me your answers in the comment section.

Cheers,
Stacy Frett

1 comment:

  1. I am too sentimental about things I've accumulated over the years....the word simplify is one that goes over and over in my head, especially with 3 kids. Their things have quickly overrun mine and my husband's. It's definitely something to re-evaluate. Some things I'm ready to part with, and some I'm sad I gave away because I wish I had them for my kids

    ReplyDelete