Thursday, November 27, 2014

Meditation On A Potato


Where did the time go?
Today is Thanksgiving Day in the United States. Fall leaves are scattered and we have even had a bit of snow here in Kentucky. I am missing my mother terribly today, but am doing my best to persist in her absence. Currently waiting on some potatoes to boil, seems that no matter what I always end up peeling potatoes except for when my mom was alive. She could peel those things in her sleep! Now days I peel the potatoes and think of her. I'd like to think her essance or spirit is with me. Someone once told me that when a mother dies she becomes her childrens guardian angel. I like that and it works for me. With all the changes good and bad I persist. I think of the potatoes as a meditation and a way to honor my mother. and it is one of the few things that I acutually eat during the holidays :)

All this reflection gets me to thinking about all the summers I spent with just her and I tooling around town in the oldsmobile convertible, just one year older then myself. I have only driven it once in my life. That was, next to me, my moms pride and joy! Whether it be to the beach, the grocery store, or the Freeze all the neighborhood kids would pile into her car and off we would go.  It was the 1970's with no seat belts and the top down. My mother is and was my hero. She drove like the wind and we always had a blast! Of course there were the bad times, to numerous and too private to discuss. She held her head high and showed me what the strength to endure really was. Well the potatoes are done, I better get to work peeling them. Dinner starts soon. I hope the Bears win today!

Have A Wonderful Day!
Stacy Michelle Frett


No comments:

Post a Comment