Saturday, September 7, 2013

Why Do I love PBS? Because it Really is a Window to My World!

Photograph of me 1977 Yes I really was a blond.

Why would anyone love PBS? They say TV is bad for you...blah blah blah. It really can be if you don't choose carefully what you are watching. I feel pretty damn lucky that I didn't get cable tv till I was 11 or 12 years old. I had parents who were always working, sometimes two jobs at a time. I was an only child and really independant. Yet there were times when I would rely on the tv for company. Just turning it on was like having other people with me. Especially as a latch-key kid. New worlds were shown to me through the programming on WTTW Channel Public Broadcasting Station. I learned to count in spanish on Seseme Street. How other people are supposed to be treated on Mr. Rogers Neighborhood. My love of drawing and paintinng was from PBS as well. My first still life was made up of kitchen tiles and some fruit on a counter. It was the first lesson in perspective. This was the 1970s and early 1980s. I was on my own a lot and the tv provided company that took the place of siblings. Even to this day no matter where I have lived, there was always a PBS Station waiting for me. I attribute my love of vegi's and vegitarionism to watching the Victory Garden. Also my love of french cookery to Julia Childs' cooking show, even though I have yet to make a chocolate souffle. It is still on my bucket list. This channel presented me with learning oppurtunities, some pretty eye opening. My mom used to talk about the time we were watching open heart surgery being performed and I was glued to the TV. She talked about that later on in life. I think she had hoped I would work in medicine someday like her cousin. Along the way I developd an overwhelming desire to become an artist. Thanks to public television and my love of learning  It planted a seed that would make me become a very well rounded and caring person today. My love of different cultures, the sciences, dancce, and art is the beautiful result of watching educational television. Make a point with your own children to let them watch tv, but with purpose. Who knows they may learn something from it and find their life's passion or some usefull skills. Give them the desire to learn new things and you may be changing the future for the better. Kids need positive role models. PBS was one of mine. Who were your role models? How do you think television changed your view of the world? Leave me a comment. I would love to hear your thoughts!

Have a great evening and Happy Viewing :)
Stacy Frett
Artist, Photographer, and Wandering Soul.  

2 comments: